Sweet Sunday: Honey & Almond Cake

I have always loved to bake... I'm quite the perfectionist, and I think these two things work pretty well together, however I also have a tendency to be pretty impatient, which as you can gather, isn't the best trait to have as a baker. 

Luckily, I have been trying to overcome this impatience and work on my baking skills. I find it pretty relaxing, to just zone out and get my bake on. 

My most recent conquest was a honey and almond cake, which, might I add, went down a treat with my family! It wasn't the easiest of cakes to make compared to other recipes I've tried, but by no means was it difficult! The honey just made it a little messy ;) but so worth it in the end!! 

If your not a fan of honey, then be warned, you probably won't like this... It is extreeemely honey-ey! But if, like me, you are a honey fan (and aren't allergic to nuts), theres no denying that you will love this! The actual cake was very spongey, which was so nice against the crunch of the almonds on the top! Anyway, I should just get on with it, shouldn't I?! 

Ingredients 

Cake
75g softened butter/margarine
75g soft light brown sugar 
2 eggs
175g self raising flour (sifted)
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp milk
2 tbsp clear honey
50g flaked almonds 
Syrup
225g honey
2tbsp lemon juice 

1. Preheat oven to 180° fan ovens 160°. Grease 9" tin.
2. Place butter, eggs, flour, baking powder, milk and honey into a large bowl and beat well, until ingredients are thoroughly combined. 
3. Spoon mixture into cake pan and smooth. Sprinkle over the almonds. 
4. Bake in oven for 50 minutes to an hour, or until risen and a skewer entered into the centre comes out clean. 
5. About 10 minutes before coming out oven, prepare syrup. Combine honey and lemon in a small saucepan and simmer on a low heat for about 5 minutes.
6. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour over the syrup, letting it soak into the cake. 
7. Leave cake to cool in the tin for about an hour the turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. 

Let me know if you give it a go, and enjoy if you do!

*Contains nuts
*Serves approx 8
post signature

2 comments:

  1. It looks so delicious! Definitely a must try : )

    http://memoriesofthepacific.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post,love it!
    Following you now,hope you'll do the same;)

    ReplyDelete