Book Review: In My Shoes

After reading #GIRLBOSS and loving it, read my review here, I felt like reading another autobiography surrounding fashion. One which was recommended to me was In My Shoes by Tamara Mellon. If you're not sure who she is, she is the woman who created Jimmy Choo. 

I didn't know that much about Jimmy Cho, so I was really interested to hear how the brands existence came about. And I gotta tell you, it's probably not what you'd expect. I don't want to say too much, otherwise thee won't be much point in reading her book at all, but one thing I will tell you is that Tamara's route to success wasn't an easy one.

Tamara did however, come from a very wealthy family. So her success story may not be the same as those who came from a very normal (shall we say) background. Having said this, without her hard work and determination, despite help from her father, she definitely wouldn't be where she is today. Which goes to show, you've got to really want it, to achieve it. Success isn't something which is handed to you on a plate (usually). 

I did find In My Shoes really interesting. Especially as a young woman hoping to pursue a career within the fashion industry, you get to hear more about the goings on within the business. Tamata is very open about her life and what went on inside it; the betrayals, the scandal, the cost of being a women in a business surrounded by men, the fight between 'the suits' and 'the creatives' and her life outside of Jimmy Choo (which at times was pretty non-existent).

You get to see a woman, who on the outside looks glamorous and well put together, fight until the bitter end, even when on the inside she no longer feels like fighting. Her strength is something to be admired. An autobiography which is candid, compelling and opens your eyes to the goings on behind closed doors. 

What's on your current reading list? I think my next will be Orange is The New Black, which is totally different from this one but one I've been dying to read for months! 
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I received this book not so long ago and can't wait to read it! Nice review!
    Alexandra
    Glam O’Clock | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should definitely give it a read!! :) xxx

      Delete